Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Shuguang (not Psvane) "WE" 845

Hey Ed,

Not sure about the Psvane story and tend to think you are correct.

Of recent production 845s I know that you liked the sound of the 845M and using this as a reference I agree that their successor the "W" (I think) did not sound as good but still a cut above the standard 845B IMO.

The Psvane T series was a definite step up from the W but the WE845 was better again in every respect, seriously worth the money IMO and those I know who have tried them agree.

But I had reservations at first. While the sound was balanced, nuanced, extended and had the hallmarks of a great tube there were signs of congestion under certain circumstances that took a while to figure out. In fact I was close to returning the tubes but decided to try lower current in the faint hope that they didn't like 85mA. Previous experience gave me the idea.

Well, I honestly did not expect such a transformation. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, just clean, balanced 3 dimensional, undistorted and dynamic sound. No upper mid-range glare or top end edge despite greater detail, particularly low level.

The proviso is that 80mA (at 1KV) is nearing their limit, 85mA is too much.

Tried a set in my brother's system and exactly the same result so he bought a pair and loves them too. We have both been running these for some time now and have not had any desire to even try anything else since.

I've been impressed with Psvane in general but if you have a chance to try WE845s you will not be disappointed. I know you've tried just about everything in 845 so I'd really love your opinion should you have the opportunity.

Cheers,
Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.