Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: SUN SV 2A3 stereo SE amp .... MEASUREMENTS

I thought the distortion measurement I made was moderately low for an SE amplifier without feedback.

did you measure this amp that was a dynamics expander?

I won't deny some possible enhancement in dynamics.. I am OK with Tre's happy music machine reference in this case.

I don't hear past 15k. I realize the biggest potential issue here is phase shift given the high -3db points and lack of current to drive miller capacitance.

I'm a little familiar with audio processing and I don't hear the familier increase in density from compression and limiting. I do hear what I would call "soft clippinbg", and I think in the case of the dc2a3 that Jeff passionately presses that the compromises of the amplifier are mainly for the purpose of good sounding "clipping behavior."

a little clipping and distortion is pleasing to the ear for many, who just like their shit loud anyhow.

Still, my prefernece is studio monitors and flat response. I'd argue this amplififer is more accurate then most might assume.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.