Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Slightly OT: Lamm, "accuracy" and enjoyment...

Not necessarily - people are a flesh-bag of contradictions. How many conspicuous equipment-lovers compromise their enjoyment of music daily because of their equipment choices? They may even claim they are music lovers, but their behaviour suggests audiophillia is a deeper belief. I have heard some systems comprising highly lauded Stereophile Class A jewelery that left me cold.

Stream of consciousness thought alert:

But I take your point that this is an amp that a few people thought was "The One", yet they did not stick with it. Perhaps it is the case of being impressive initially, but less fulfilling in the longer term... This is in contrast to the likes of Shindo et al that seem to be the vice versa.

You can use low impedance drivers; regulation out the wazoo; fixed bias; CCS everywhere, high current operating points and end up with an amp that sounds "accurate", ultra-detailed, impressively dynamic and exciting, has a very deliniated soundstage... yet in time you come to realise you are enjoying music through it rarely if ever.

And when did analytical become almost synonymous with "accurate"? Why does an emphasis on at the aspects of musical reproduction that make conscious analysis easier, or the main focal point, supposedly make for accurate reproduction? Just because something engages left-brain activity does not mean it is accurate.

Cheers.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." Shunryo Suzuki

Edits: 07/26/12 07/27/12 07/27/12 07/27/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.