Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: EML 2a3 mesh and JJ 2a3-40

Hi Dennis and Jeff!

I was pricing the JJ as follows - $255 each at http://tubedepot.com/jj-2a3-40.html. That was the first I found on Google. My mistake - reading closer this was for a matched pair. Seems a typical price

I can see you have no use for the Sovteks, Dennis - you make a very high quality product. I don't use them either. I don't mind about the bass but I can't stand the hard treble - violins are plain unpleasant. The EH may be a bit better - haven't heard them. It's the orchestral violins that are the issue - they absolutely have to be sweet and smooth. I read a test of the Sovteks where they had between three and ten times the distortion of NOS 2a3s.

I'm still going for 'ultimate transparancy' even if it's PP though! The differences in the finals are quite audible. I agree we have a lot of complexity in my amps - three DHT stages and 4 tubes per stage, all with separate filament supplies. That's what made me build 300b SETs - exactly half the work. But the results are worth it, so heck, the music is what counts in the end. I could have used SE inputs and drivers and done the phase splitting in the Interstage, but I have a DAC with balanced output, so that made me go diff pairs right through.

I agree completely with Jeff that I should try the 2a3s at 10 watts dissipation. I'll reduce the wattage as far as my speakers are comfortable - if I can save on tube life so much the better. I don't know what the comfort level of power is exactly with my speakers. I think from experience it's about 25 watts dissipation on a 300b SET but a PP amp may sound cleaner at that power. So 12.5 watts dissipation from each 2a3 should be OK at least.

I'm surprised you don't like the NOS 2a3s, but you've clearly listened a lot in A-B tests so you have good reasons for that. If the EMLs were less expensive.......

Andy

Edits: 07/11/12 07/11/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.