Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: EML 2a3 mesh and JJ 2a3-40

I'm not sure about the JJ 2A3-40 pricing right now, but these were about $115 USD each last time I looked.

Since your amp is PP, the requirement for ultimate transparency is greatly lessened over a simple S.E. application, but you'll still need repeatability in tube characteristics to run 4 of them at once..

The Electro-Harmonix versions of the Sovteks are way better than the plain Sovteks. In S.E. service, both are unremarkable and have stunted Bottom-End. However, in Push-Pull, you're going to get Bottom-End if the amp's design allows it-- tubes are a lesser factor.

4 output tubes is a lot of complexity to run simply to listen to music, however-- but people do it everyday.

If this is working for you, perhaps the rugged reliability of the JJ-- once you find 4 that are similar to each other (that's a tall order for any output tubes) would fill your needs for a long time. They seem to be completely "Bulletproof" in our S.E. amps.

I have a friend who is running 4 of them in a Mastersound integrated stereo amp-- has been for years-- upgraded the JJ power tubes last year--they're still running OK.

The last of the JJ's I purchased cost me $105 USD each.

The Electro-Harmonix and Sovteks that I have around here were cheaper-- the Sovteks a lot so. I have quite a few-- and no use for either.

I also sold-off all NOS as soon as I knew that they're not doing the job right either-- all kinds! I probably kept a few of the best NOS-- Spring-Top Sylvania, etc. If you can use any of this, let me know.

I don't sell JJ or EML. I buy those for my amps.

---Dennis---

Edits: 07/11/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.