Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

they're fairly fresh

My final PS C is an ACS made in Japan, 50uf/370VAC, bought new 2 years ago, never tormented. I always thought they were good, and perhaps are better than a cheap electrolytic. I've used Solens too, reliable.

I say try putting any "good" small (0.05uf-0.001uf) cap across whatever final PS cap and/or cathode bypass cap you have, and tell me what you hear.
Then maybe somebody can talk about what happened: did some frequencies get "boosted" or are the same selected frequencies "faster" or ?

The smear issue has been mentioned numerous times, yet some recommend paralleling smaller better caps across larger caps. I have yet to hear smear. If smear is real then wouldn't multiple by passing (say 5 or 6 total) be disastrous? or possibly return to no-smear?

Anyway, something happens, and it "seems" to show that the ACS cap alone
is maybe 1 or 2 db down in a certain higher frequency zone. My guess is that the same thing I hear would be heard by most of you on whatever cap you have. And if you hear nothing, I want to know what cap you have please. Further, IF "returning to flat response" is what is happening by installing a selected group of small bypass caps, then it would seem then that most large (20uf-100uf) caps are not "flat". IF flatness is not the issue and speed is, then are we listening to different speeds across the audioband? Is that "smear"? Is that worse than non-flat cap response? Are these crazy questions?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.