Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Soo...

Good questions-- but all I'm doing is repeating results that are accurate, but are not believed.

Nevertheless, one last go:

(1) Your doubling assumption-- 64 watts would NORMALLY be required. However, nearly all ordinary tube amplifiers under 150 watts or so WILL NOT drive this speaker well.

If the speaker is pushed to high volumes on those amps, low-end will suffer as will clarity, sharp pulse accuracy, speed, definition, and especially image depth and multiple layering of music. PRAT suffers also-- actually most amps simply can't drive it very loud without plenty of distortion-- which is VERY audible because the curved front integrator panel blows this distortion all over the room..

(2) Remember-- I am not allowed to make claims. Figure it out for yourself.

(3) I am measuring SPL IN THE ROOM with a mike that is part of a calibrated SPL measuring system-- according to normal industry standards.

(4) The meter resets every .2 seconds-- two tenths. The average reading for that period is held. Peak and averaged readings are a part of the machine's delivered result. Readings were also taken, resetting at .5 seconds-- that's one-half second. Those readings are similar, but show about 3 to 4% lower on most music.

(5) The .4 (four tenths) watt reading taken at 106 db was actually far louder than one could stand to listen to music for any length of time. It isn't bad in this case, because it remains with full musical bandwidth and it's clean-- it doesn't change quality at this level. But that level is just too much for anything but super-loud and clean just to enjoy a Rock Band with dominating Guitar for one tune-- as an example.

I do play orchestras that are very good at high levels. This approaches what they can do in real life, and isn't a problem.

One should understand that this speaker uses an entire room, and brings that room up to high levels all over it-- not just near some axis-- as do most speakers. That is why it is hard to drive. It reflects back into the amp-- its room enveloping requirements.

What I am trying to say is that this is a speaker that I love to play very loudly because it doesn't have "hot" spots-- it is very uniform across and down thru an entire room. It gets ALL of the room.

That is why you can run it loud and not get listener fatigue unless it is run VERY loud. It has another quality-- at very low volumes, all of the music remains fully intact, and so do all the musical dynamics and layers.

Is it superior to any other speaker? I believe so! How many amplifiers will do it any justice? Maybe two or three in the whole world-- maybe 4 or 5.

Don't ask me! I can't make claims.

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.