Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: EML 45

On their web page, EML says "They have 4 four original V-shaped filaments like found in vintage 45 tubes."

The nonlinearity due to uneven cathode-grid spacing is a real effect, as Dennis alludes to. However, you must consider two further things: 1) it's the active surface of the space-charge electron cloud, rather than the emitting surface per se, that is important, and 2) other sources of nonlinearity include the mechanical precision of the grid (EML says "Wolfram grids allow the most precise grid wire distance, because wolfram is an extreme hard metal. This ensures better grid precision, which gives uniformity and better linearity at the low end of the tube curves...").

I would add uniformity of grid-plate spacing on theoretical grounds, but as long as the geometry is either flat or cylindrical (as in most 45s, 2A3s, 300Bs, and 845s), I believe that parameter is more easily controlled. Where you see it crop up is when the plate is a box construction while the grid is oval and the cathode cylindrical - many small signal triodes are built this way.

As for the RCA reference, EML says only "This tube has fully original specifications of the American RCA Type." Those specs do not include distortion, basically just mu, gm, and rp. EML does provide plenty of evidence that their tube is extremely linear, which RCA never did as far as I know. For what it's worth, the WE 300B original published curves are also extremely linear.

Incidentally, when I say "linear" I really mean that the mu does not vary significantly with operating point. All tubes still follow the 3/2 power law imposed by the physics; constant mu is as close to linear as tubes can get.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.