Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: I will add, not all people...

I'd like to commend you on arguing your points well.

I certainly agree that the listening room makes a difference-- that's huge-- as you imply.

I would state that if we do the best we can-- up to keeping all of the music intact as it's coming out of the amplifier-- then we can apply a speaker system that is also accurate musically and, by having remained honest so far-- we can reap the benefits of having not left something out of our music in order to get it to sound "good"..

Now, as you're saying, the room becomes what's left. I wouldn't want to recommend that anyone use the source components, the amplifier, the speaker or any wiring in order to get a given system to work in a given room.

Rather, I'd approach that by keeping all of it as close to reality as possible-- right up to the room-- and then try to change that room and bring it into musical reality also.

I don't mean to imply that all rooms can be easily changed to accommodate an otherwise excellent system. Some rooms just have built-in limitations, and certainly challenge the best of us..

What to do? I would still use the most accurate amplifiers, speakers and wiring. If the room could not go beyond a certain point, I would be forced to use something at the source components-- maybe I would HAVE to make some source curve changes-- that's what people had tone controls for, and is why we now have digital room E.Q.

But please understand what's up here-- you need to get it as good as you can, keeping all of it honest and neutral, and work on the room seriously before you make that final decision to alter something in the electronic mix..

If you'll try to follow these guidelines, the end result-- even if it's not perfect-- will be better than if you had chosen an amp, speaker, or wire in order to compensate for a fault in a room-- by being in itself pleasantly inaccurate.

All I'm saying is you'll get better results by staying with an honest system overall.

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I will add, not all people... - tube wrangler 00:00:17 06/02/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.