Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Dennis Fraker

I once saw a JBL advert rating the Paragon system at 88db/watt.

The system that I build from the Great Plains Audio 604/704 series

is more efficient-- it hits about 96-97 db/watt.

Doesn't matter. Either system can be driven to over 110 db cleanly by the same amp.

Listening room is 13 ft. wide by about 24 ft., with a nice cathedral-peaked ceiling. The room averages about 8 ft. height.

The Paragon sits atop its own stage. This is 35 inches front-to-back, and is 120 inches long. A JBL Paragon is 104 inches wide (long).

The Paragon sits atop a stage that is 13 inches high. The top surface of my stage is made up of two layers of 1 1/8 inch marine plywood, glued and screwed together.. 2 x 12 rough-cut (full dimension, not planed)douglas fir timbers are used at 10 inch center-to-center spacing along the entire front width. These go front-to back, and are cut into the floor wood 1" deep. This is all screwed and glue-locked together.

The front of the stage is a 2 x 12 timber running the entire front of the stage, also cut into the floor, and screwed and glue-locked into the front-to-back timbers and to the top plates.

In our test lab, we have a replica of a room at RMAF, which is also 13 feet wide inside-- but the Hotel room is usually about 18 ft. long. In those setups, we run the Great Plains cabinets which we build across the narrow end of the room, firing into the riim's 18 ft. length. A bit of toe-in is used, and center to center spacing of driver center line varies in different rooms-- but about 57 inches will usually work OK.

Those cabinets have about 9 5/8 cu. ft. internal volume, and have found their way into quite a few homes. They work well on many different amps-- they are not anywhere near as fussy as the Paragon is-- because the Paragon is mixing right and left and doing stereo simultaneously. It is a SEVERE test of amp quality and power delivery.

It is hoped that this helps some of you out a bit with some of your own systems, and is the last of this series of posts.

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.