Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: We started this whole thing

i think the main thing is to be sure you're getting what you think you're getting - if so then great.

I have not really heard amps that sound like SET that were not SETs. In fact that premise is bothersome - it's the same Carver like statement that he can make a SS sound like tube - but which tube and which SET.

An Audio Note 300b SET doesn't sound like a Cary 300B SET - not even remotely close to sounding the same. They may both be SET - they may both use 300bs (the same 300Bs) but they don't sound alike. And that does not even begin to address the other variety of tubes 2a3, 845, EL84 etc.

Perhaps the idea is set characteristics - better transients, decay, body, whatever.

But then I start to immediately think - if we want a design to "sound like a SET" then why not simply build a SET they you can be SURE it will have those characteristics.

Perhaps it is about generating higher power to drive difficult to drive loudspeakers - but usually all those speakers sound worse so why bother with the effort. No matter how good the amp is it's just going to be railroaded by the Low Efficiency dynamically dead loudspeakers anyway.

I'm not entirely convinced this is necessary for the average home user anyway. But I always remain open to being convinced. I suppose though comparisons can really only be made within brand. Comparing X amp with RCA and Balanced - because it is not necessarily the case that Amp 1 from maker A in balanced configuration will sound better than manufacturer B with Amp 2 using RCA.

PS - saw your Atma-Sphere amps in Hong Kong and they look very well made indeed - the dealer had the cover off - I believe he was breaking in some new speakers. I enjoy the audio shops all stacked on top of each other. It's a mini CES.

Edits: 05/12/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.