Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: suggestions for a decent digital front end?

Since your request was for CD players I will stick with that.

Audio Note CD digital is obvious. Something with the zero-times oversampling let you hear what is on the disc rather than being "noise shaped" to death by computer chips.

But a less expensive DAC alternative may be a choice for fans of the technology but without the cash and that would be from MDHT - the DAC is called the Havana and is getting good press - I have not heard it but it has been favorably compared to Audio Note. (linked below).

Problem is it's just a DAC - you still need a CD player.

I recently purchased a tube CD player from a company called Line Magnetic and it sounds really very good. And then down the line add a DAC from AN, Eastern Electric, or MDHT or something where the price/performance makes sense.

My Line Magnetic CD-215 pictured - unfortunately the U.S. importers have only imported their amplifiers so it may be some time or never that they will get over here. It's pretty terrific - just like their amplifiers.

As for computer based stuff - I liked the QB-9 from Ayre over some others I've heard. But I'm not quite so good with computers. I hate itunes - it kept downsizing my music files to lower bitrates.

Windows Media Player is SOOOOO much easier to use and not counter intuitive. So i don't get the "apple is simpler" arguments. My sandisk Mp3 was dead easy to use - My iPod classic is a big pain in the arse.

Edits: 05/10/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: suggestions for a decent digital front end? - RGA 23:21:04 05/10/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.