Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: another explanation...

Good idea to go through the calculations on this assertion.

You wrote:
"Let's say we have two hypothetical gain stages. Each with a gain of 10 and having only 2nd order harmonic distortion. Let's say the percentage of 2nd order distortion is 10% (each stage).

If we apply 1 volt of 1kHz to the first stage we get 10 volts of 1kHz and 1 volt of 2khz feeding the second stage.

The second stage amplifier the 10 volts of 1kHz to give us 100 volts of 1kHz.

The second stage amplifies the 1 volt of 2kHz to give us 10 volts of 2kHz.

The second stage distorts the 1Khz and gives us 10 volts MORE of 2khz for a total of 20 volts 2kHz.

The second stage also distorts the 1 volt of 2kHz input signal, to give us 1 volt of 4kHz.

What have I missed?"

I will now edit all those lines to correct the errors, one by one:

"If we apply 1 volt of 1kHz to the first stage we get -10 volts of 1kHz (polarity inversion needs a minus sign) and 1 volt MAGNITUDE of 2khz feeding the second stage, phase not found due to not knowing the distortion transfer function completely. It could be -180 degrees, where it is likely. That means we might assume it is actually -1 volts of 2khz midband.

The second stage amplifier with -10 volts of 1kHz then gives us (1)(-10)(-10) = +100 volts of 1kHz. Note two polarity inversions for inverting common cathode stages.

The second stage amplifies and inverts the -1 volt of 2kHz to give us +10 volts of 2kHz.

The second stage distorts the 1Khz and gives us -10 volts MORE of 2khz for a total of a magnitude of (+10)+(-10) = 0 volts 2kHz!"

It gets complicated quickly when the order is increased to calculate % distortion of a single even order harmonic. But you can see that it's doing it quite well to the 2nd order in terms of cancellation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.