Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Just one

While I don't have Valencias, I have a pr of Altec 604e drivers in Brazillia? cabs and a pr of Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds in Windsor cabs. My preference leans toward 45 amps but I've also had 10Y, 2A3, 300b, 845 amps in various systems over the years. At first, the 45 takes you in and will definitely keep you in your seat but unless you choose a more efficient speaker in the end, the limitations will overtake the benefits.

Even in smallish rooms (10' x 12' or so), the 45 amp (regardless of PS or driver stage) will compress and distort at higher volumes (+85dB) on less than 100dB efficient speaks. I was blissfully unaware in the beginning but over a few months, I began to notice a distinct dullness in the bass and a flattening in the high end when I cranked up the volume.

While I feel the 45 is sublime and fleshes out details better than its 2A3, 300b and 845 cousins, you may find that more power is necessary to properly energize and move your drivers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Just one - JBryan 07:39:35 12/29/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.