Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Another Option ...

Good post! Thanks.

My earlier post went to some lengths to point out the other things than tube type matter a lot. But I should probably have mentioned that I have compared tubes in the same amplifier, and they are different.

I compared a Shuguang biplate 2A3 with an early Sovtek 300B, some 15 years ago I suppose. I had a clear preference for the 2A3, as did the one or two friends who were able to do extended comparisons. This was in the same amp at the same operating point, and the tubes have nearly the same nominal specs (rp, mu, gm) which gives it some kind of validity.

In line with my earlier comments, I would be very reluctant to extend this conclusion to other variants - the Sovtek 2A3 for instance, which is (I think) the first of the modern single-plate 2A3s and looks almost exactly the same as their 300B, only 15% smaller. Also I note that the early Sovtek 300B had a geometry problem that allowed some part of the electron stream to bypass the grid, giving it more distortion than later production runs.

I did run a large number of 300Bs in that amp later - the comparisons done at an early VSAC and were documented in VALVE. No 2A3s were compared however. There were fairly clear consensus differences among the tubes. I'm not sure any of the currently-available tubes are identical to any of the ones tested though, so it doesn't (IMHO) mean much now!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Another Option ... - Paul Joppa 18:07:25 12/28/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.