Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Passive Pre-amps have always sounded 'Lifeless' in my System...................

I tried Promitheus and Placette passives but kept returning to active preamps (Monbrison as the most recent). The active amp always brought more dynamics to the performance. I bought the Schlagel autoformer and the world changed. I built it 2 months ago using spare Radio Shack equipment I had around the house. I haven't felt a desire to put the Monbrison back in my system. The Schlagel has all the musicality and dynamic nuance that I had with Monbrison without the last veil of coloring that I didn't know the Monbrison had. I don't know if I'll still be a convert after I put the Monbrison back in, but for less than 1/10th the price, the Schlagel has earned my highest respect and admiration. I've tried it with SET and push-pull amps and love the sound. I think the Schlagel even allows my Korneff 45 to drive my speakers better than the Monbrison. I have no idea why that would be.
Bob

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Passive Pre-amps have always sounded 'Lifeless' in my System................... - Bob Mc 19:28:12 10/15/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.