Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Why Passive Preamp?

Well for one, to the person using a passive preamp in their system, it might just sound good to them.

I think for me, the fact that most sources can drive amps to clipping if connected direct says a lot about the fact that there is already enough gain available. Why add more? The real issues that will determine whether a passive preamp is ideal in your system have to do with impedance matching (which also affects how an active linestage will interact with your system as well). I think the previous post by Tre outlines this nicely. However, in my experience I can easily say a passive preamp can sound every bit as dynamic as an active preamp, while being more pure and true to the source.

Now I have a system that is very passive friendly. I have at my disposal a few different types of passive preamps: resistive, autoformer (Slagle), and LDR. My favorite is the LDR. I don't necessarily buy into the argument that TVC or AVC types are better. They might have their advantages, but so do the others.

One other option that allows you to not add gain to your system while eliminating the impedance issues is to use a buffered unity gain preamp. There are many fine ones out there: The Truth, Pass B1, Dodd Audio, Burson, etc.

There is a good article by Nelson Pass worth reading. Click on the link below and then scroll down a bit until you locate the title of the article.

Edits: 10/05/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Why Passive Preamp? - clio09 22:31:32 10/05/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.