Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Why Passive Preamp?

IMO, less active stages equals lower harmonic distortion and lower harmonic distortion equals better sound.

If you can't turn your volume control up all the way, then you have too much gain in your system.

If you have 'one whole gain stage worth' too much gain, why not get rid of one stage?

Resistive passive preamps can be a problem. If the impedance is low enough to not cause problems driving cable capacitance plus the Miller capacitance of your power amps input tube, it might be a problem for the source to drive.

(too high an output impedance and those capacitance's will cause a loss of high frequencies. Too low an input impedance to the passive attenuator and the last stage of you source (phono preamp) might not be happy driving it)

I use an Autoformer Volume Control that allows me to ditch the active line stage and retain low output impedance to drive the capacitance of the cable and Miller.

With an AVC or TVC the output impedance is never higher than the source driving it. As you turn the volume down the output impedance goes down while the reflected impedance of what you're driving goes up.

This makes life "good" for the final stage of your source.

Check out Dave Slagle's website and forum for more information.

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 10/05/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Why Passive Preamp? - Tre' 21:03:06 10/05/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.