Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

No absolutes

It is pointless to debate the sound quality of SE vs. PP in the abstract. Both topologies are capable of excellent sound assuming compatible speaker loads. In addition, different people have different listening priorities.

In my system, I have several tube amps to choose from---two pairs of push-pull E-Linear amps with power ranging from 35 to 50 watts, and a set of 46 SE monoblocks which have an output of roughly 1 watt. On my Spendor SP-100s, I prefer the E-Linears; the 46 amps sound surprisingly good but don't have the control, focus and power of the PP amps. However, the 46 amps really shine on my 99db 2-ways with a Jensen 15" and Altec 32 horn driven by 802-8G compression driver. So which amp is better? It all depends on the speaker being used, and my preference in speakers changes depending on the music and my mood.

Here's another example. At last months's Capital Audiofest in DC, two rooms really stood out in my opinion. The first room had Wilson Sashas powered by D'Agostino's new ss amps. Peter McGraths's recordings on this system were simply phenomenal. Incredible dynamic swings, full frequency extension, excellent tonal colors, and spooky transparency.

The second room was about as opposite as one can get. The DejaVu Audio room used vintage Jensen field coil speakers in an open baffle driven by tube electronics using Western Electric iron and other vintage parts. The amps were PP and had 4 watts output. Playing CDs with an Audio Note DAC 5, this combination was, to my ears, the most realistic from the upper bass through the low treble. It was not as neutral or full range as the Wilsons, but somehow equally real in its own way. I suspect that Peter McGrath's uncompressed orchestral recordings would not have sounded nearly as good on this system, but with the right music the Jensen field coils were remarkable.

There were a number of other rooms at CAF with SE amps that didn't sound nearly as good as these two rooms. I guess that's what keeps this hobby so interesting. There are a number of roads that can lead to good sound--PP as well as SE.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.