Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: When did you know SE sound was it?

For me, it was about 6 yrs ago. I'd been hearing about single driver speakers and went to audition a pair at a sellers house. He had them hooked up to some McIntosh MC 60's. I knew the Mac sound, owning their MC2000 and MC275 tube amps. Sounded great. He asked me if I'd like to hear his SET. Sure, I'd never heard one before. It was a Wavelength Duetto. Oh Oh. Something happened that I really liked and hadn't heard before. My best attempt to describe it would be like looking thru an autofocus camera "before" you pressed the af button, then after. Before: You see a tree, you can tell what kind it is, color, size, what's in the background/foreground, all is fine, then you press the af button. After: Oooh, the tree has branches, leaves. Depth of field is more dramatic. I like this.

I bought the speakers and eventually a cheap 2a3 SET integrated. It was the beginning of love affair that still goes on today. Now it's a matter of finding my preferences. I've since owned SETs that have used the 45,2a3,300b,300bxls,845 and 211. Loving the 300b and 45.

Where I'm at currently: I have 3 systems.

One is optimised for SETs (high/flat impedance and good effiency). It uses a custom made (for me, not by me) 2 way with an active x/o. I use a 300b for the mid/woofer and the amp for the ribbon tweeter can take a 2a3 or 45 so I play there a little.

Two uses a pair of SF Guarneris (originals). I use a 300b on them but also rotate a Pass XA30.5 and a Marantz 8b. They all have their strengths. BTW, I did own the newer Guarneri Mementos and the originals at the same time. The originals are much more frienly toward SETs.

Three uses Magnepan 3.6's. Yes, I have used SET's on them. This is long enough so I'll post about this under Paully's reply.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: When did you know SE sound was it? - onemug 08:55:30 08/13/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.