Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: When did you know SE sound was it?

My first two amps were SE. That must have started around 1960; I was in the 8th grade and built a battery-powered SE transistor amp powered by four D-cells. The house we rented at that time had one of those huge mono speakers, extremely efficient. Later, in high school, I designed and built an ultralinear SE EL84 amp, and inherited a 8" Wolverine in a back-loaded horn cabinet from a friend of my fathers who was converting to that new-fangled idea of stereo :^)

After leaving college I could afford stereo and got a Sony V-FET amp which lasted for years, with various home-built and kit speakers. I gradually lost interest in recorded music, turning to computers for fun instead. We continued to attend symphony and operas so music was still important to me, just not recorded music.

It wasn't until the early 90s that I ran across Sound Practices magazine and the local club, where I heard tube amps again and liked them - but mostly I liked the fact that these people were building there own stuff, and having WAY more fun than the Stereophile acolytes. In 1995 I first heard an SET - the World Audio kit - at a club meeting and was hooked. My interest in listening to recorded music returned immediately - it sounded "right" again. Nothing has changed that opinion since.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.