Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

for me it was the 45

Gang,

Mike LaFevre talked me into making an SET amp. I was making EL34 and KT88/6550 PP amps before that. I told Mike that nobody is going to buy a sub 10W amplifier so we made and 845 amplifier (6SL7, 300B, 845). This was a long time ago. I went to a ham fest and Mike Marx sold me a ton of 45 tube he had just got. So I made a direct coupled constant current 45 amplifier out of a 6BM8 using the Triode section as the gain and the Pentode as a current source in the cathode of the 45. It sounded really good... so much so that Joe Roberts made one and Corey Greenburg used that in Stereophile to review the Studio 100's. I had some early ProAc 2's and this amp sounded great on it. Sure it wasn't shaking the walls but it sounded great.

I then got a call from Purdue university which ended up getting me a ton of WE300B's and other WE tubes and that was it we started working on the Cardinal. The first Cardinal was 5693->300B with a 5AR4 rectifier. That design got stolen and I changed the design to a 6SL7 300B, 5AR4 and it stayed there for years getting Product of the Year in TAS 1994 and then dual Class A rating in Stereophile the following year.

Wouldn't even consider doing PP or SS again, thanks
Gordon
J. Gordon Rankin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.