Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: OPT for 2A3/300B design

5K is often chosen over 3K for more damping control. For the 300B, many people prefer the 5K option over 3K.. Keep in mind that the 5K load also permits the 45 - which you might not want to try with a 3K load.

I've always been impressed with the Parafeed output stage for extended bass performance... In many cases, you can convert an air gapped transformer into duty as a plate choke - and add the parafeed capacitor and transformer after the fact. I've done with with both my 845 amp and an 811A prototype and I did notice in each case that the bass performance was more impactful and controlled.

I have a 6W 845 amp - fixed bias - 6.6K load, front end is IT coupled. I can piss off neighbors will all my 6W in my urban neighborhood on 98dB eff Klipsch RF-3s. I reckon with your K-horns that you would be more than happy with a 300B... After all, the prices on 300B vs. quality 2A3 are not that far away from each other.

I'd def. do fixed bias too....

-- Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.