Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Output Transformer Choice for 300B

I strongly recommend two things .

1) Add Magnequest to your short list. They make an extremely reasonably priced SE Output Transformer (TFA-204) that was originally designed specifically for the WE 300B when run at 8 Watts out or less - and they have other SE Output Transformers rated for higher power. Though my opinion is biased in that I love their stuff they are certainly at least as good as the other big names.

2)
You say the amp is the most musical you've heard and I take that to mean you're enjoying the sound with the Lundahls. Well, this is pure opinion and waxing philosophical but IMHO . . .
Isn't it a mistake to change something while you still really like the sound of what you have? - It could well be that a future you will value a different amp more - but enjoyment doesn't come cheap (Look how much everybody is spending to try and get it!!`,;^)and it's good to appreciate what you like while you can. Especially as this amp is your own creation you have an interest in hearing deep into the sound, getting to know the sound intimately.
Of course, nothing is perfect and eventually the things that you want to change will surface in your own mind before they do in anyone else's.

There are so many uneasy, 'concerned' guys who spend all their time modding (or thinking about it) because they once made the choice to ignore what they liked and now have to wander the land of everybody else's recommendations trying to find it again.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.