Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Output Transformer Choice for 300B

I have not posted for quite a while as I've been busy on other things, and enjoying lots of music when I've had time to. Lucky!

Anyway, I have a nice self built 300B SET (called Valentine); driven by a 6SL7/E83F mu stage with its own PSU; fixed bias; AC heated 300Bs. I have recently changed from TJ 300Bs to recent WE's and wow, what an upgrade that is!

OPTs are Lundahl LL1620s and they can't be bad as this amp is the most musical I've ever heard. However, a friend (and Asylum member) whose opinions I respect a lot suggests that a change of OPT will give far better tonality and better sound generally.

So I'm tempted to try something else. I'm into accoustic music; classical, folk, some rock with a special liking for female vocals.

I've done lots of research here, diyaudio and google which brought up lots of oriental sites. My short list so far is:
Hashimoto H-20-3.5U
Hashimoto H-30-3.5S
Tamura F7002
Tango FC-30-3.5S (very similar to older XE-60-3.5S)
Cost is not a major issue if I get a 'result'. As I'm in the UK I looked at the Audionote site but prices seemed excessive to me.

I tend to rule out the Tamura F5 series as it seems to lack some bass; while I'm not a bass freak, I like that of the WE300Bs and Lundahl OPTs and don't want to lose this.

Any comments or recommendations welcomed.
Any help to choose from within my short list is specially valuable.
Thanks in advance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Output Transformer Choice for 300B - Mike C 12:23:27 04/02/07 (18)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.