Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

I was very impressed with the Maggies 1.6 as well...

I was visiting a friend who asked me to recommend a non-tube based system (heresy!!).

Anyway, I went around with him and we listened to the Maggies 1.6 and 3.6 and I was very impressed. Set-up and amplification (Krell) was not ideal and optimized IMO, but even then I was quite impressed. The 1.6 did have a coherence across most of the range that I have not found in many speakers aside from my Cain Abbys. In addition, they were very, very quick, detailed, and projected similar large-scale images, just like the Abbys. Of course top end and bottom end was where they beat my Abbys easily. Especially the tight fast bass was very impressive. Of course, my friend walked out with a pair (too bad he lives more than 2000 miles away). Only downside is that it seems that they do need more power to fully open up. Not sure whether SET would be enough power...

Of course, my friend walked out with a pair (too bad he lives more than 2000 miles away).
If I wouldn't have a perfectly matched Cain Abby/ Fi system around I would be tempted trying out the Maggies for a while to see how far they could go.

Die gefährlichste Weltanschauung ist die Weltanschauung derjenigen, die die Welt nicht angeschaut haben.
Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.