Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Shindo amps and DIY

You did link a couple of seperate issues here.

First of all, how good are the Shindo amps? SET amps seem to be closing in on as good as it gets. Is Shindo the best? I've seen those claims before. We just have to listen and see. But I do have some scepticism about the proposal from the start.

The proof is in the pudding. Not in experience, not in stats. Two musicians could both have 30 years experience and one could offer alot more than the other.

Sound is quite a complex phenomena with tons of variables. Certain design issues cover alot of the ground towards the best. It gets very subtle from there and it depends on discernments, opportunity, builder's background and exposure, decisions, etc.

Someone could be familar with variables A,B,C,D,and E, but all of a sudden variable F comes along which someone has no knowledge of, and which can affect everything.

The whole field of sound is just too complex. Kind of like space. Going to the moon is not the end all. You can shoot an arrow, and the more knowledge and experience you have the better you can shoot the arrow, but you are basically shooting it into a wild open space.

Any DIYer has the world of sound potentially at his or her fingertips. Especially an unconventional builder. At any given moment what can be created can exceed what is already been done. That is a simple probability statement.

The boundaries here between commercial and DIY is almost untenable. DIY ia more like home-cooking or a single restaurant. What is the best chain restaurant that you know? Would you rather get your pizza from Pizza Hut, or the local guy that you know about on Washington Street in the next town?

Pizza is only basically three ingredients. Why is it the best on the east coast? Why is it that even Chicago pan pizza, loaded with luscious ingredients and it can be quite delicous, is second to the regular style pie here on the east coast?

Obviously art and aesthetics here too.

Sound has the potential to reach deep down into the soul. What has it been the last 100 years of audio/reproduced sound? But music is calling us for centuries, and sound/music is of a primodial nature.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.