Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Shindo amps and DIY

As you correctly said, amplifiers made by great practitioners of this art are all different. They have their own variety of goodness that may appeal to different tastes. One amp is good for mono jazz records, another for 78 rpm Toscanini. You cannot compare these amps and tell which one is absolutely the best. Moreover, a marginally sophisticated and unprejudiced listener will find flaws in each and every one of them.

A perfect amp is a dream that never comes true, and pursuit of this dream is a lifelong and open-ended endeavour. As famous anarchist Kropotkin said, goal is nothing, movement is everything. One can have certain achievements along the way, but true followers never stop at these milestones. These true followers are all DIY.

I would compare the most sophisticated DIY to artists who always look beyond their past achievements and are never satisfied.

Commercially successful designers are like painters who found that one particular work sells well, and focus their efforts on making many copies of it.

Gear fans are like art lovers - not creative themselves, they enjoy creativity of the others.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.