Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Art and Passion

Hello Rick,

I am really, really behind the great amp builders, but am fortunate to know some, and share the quest to get to know how to work with amps and other audio gear. So far, I have received much more from them than what I could give in return. But I guess that's the way it is, you receive from those who know better, and give to those who need your support. Kyle is very quiet, and most he would say about his Double DC Darling amp that "it sounds all right". I think it's one of the most captivating amps I ever hear, and listening to it at my place lead to almost everyone present deciding right away to build one! You bet, there was no talk about sonic qualities, it was about the music. For three of us, that was the beginning of serious DIY, our very first amps. He helped us to redesign the schematics for the damper tubes I had in mind to use for rectification, and to order all the parts, plus he gave us loads of quality parts, basically for free.

But it's no wonder similar people wind up getting to know each other. I also have a fascination for japanese knives, and aa few of my friends think I am obsessed with cooking. And of course, with baroque music......

So far, I don't think I'll get to building amps for sale, as I raraly get things finished. My problem is that I have way too many ideas, and before I finish one, I already am fully absorbed with something else. I need to get down to Earth, and learn some patience and perseverance.... I'm a scientist, too, and my ex-boss was saying the world is full of ideas, we need hard working people. ;).
DIY is really getting to me.... I'm starting to apply it to my research projects, too... that's scary.

"Unfortunately, one lesson I have learned is that no matter how passionate I am about something, not everyone will see it the same through their eyes. "

That is a great lesson. My mentor reminded me of the same. TOns of people were harrassing him over the last decade to come up with his products, but he was saying everyone has a clear picture of what they want to hear, and if he comes up with something, it will be what he likes, not those, who want to buy it. So, he's keen to find out what each person wants, and lead him to that sound. For those, who would like to DIY, he shows how to mod the amp / tonearm / TT / cartridge / CD transport or you name-it, and for those, who are not DIY-inclined, he does the mod himself. You bring any gear to him, and he'll modify it to sound better, be it an old Pioneer CD player, an exclusive Jadis preamp, or the cartridge of the year.

"I'm the type who comes home from a hard days work and will still prepare an intricate meal, spending the time to reduce a sauce etc.... I'll even plate a dish as if I'm serving it in a restaurant. My mom always says I'm nuts. For her, food is just food. For me food is an art and a craft to be perfected."

Wow, I admire you! I feel the same with gongfu cha..... ;) But I have a lot to learn about the art of tea-drinking and making from Leonard, one of my close DIY-friends. He has taught me how much an excellent meal can improve the quality of listening to music, as he is also a dedicated chef, like you, and not just a bachelor of erratic, inspirational cooking like me... it sometimes turns of very tasty, sometimes a disappointment...... :()

Well, I wrote too much... time to read and do something productive ;).

Good luck!

Janos

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.