Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Art and Passion

Janos,

From your post, I can see that you have a very deep passion for DIY. I would go further and say that DIY for you is an expression of your art. One of the things I see in many of great builders is that their work goes beyond just a piece of stereo gear and is an expression of their art. The way you talk about DIY is how I talk about cooking and food, about Japanese knives, music, and a few other things. Perhaps one day, people will be talking about Janos audio products.
Unfortunately, one lesson I have learned is that no matter how passionate I am about something, not everyone will see it the same through their eyes. From dedicated seekers of DIY knowledge to proud Shindo owners, this can be a hard pill to swallow. I'm the type who comes home from a hard days work and will still prepare an intricate meal, spending the time to reduce a sauce etc.... I'll even plate a dish as if I'm serving it in a restaurant. My mom always says I'm nuts. For her, food is just food. For me food is an art and a craft to be perfected.

I will say that your statement that "most of us are lazy" is a bit harsh. The reality is that we all have different goals and we have to respect and accept that fact. For many of the people on this forum, they care about the music and/or the sound and not necessarily the means. I would wager that a large number of people who started on DIY did so out of practical necessity, i.e. they could not afford the commercial gear they wanted. I would say that I fall into that category. It's not that I don't like to build stuff or experiment, but I prefer building scale models to stereo gear and if I wanted to experiment, I just walk into my lab (I'm a scientist after all). DIY, for me, was a means to an end no more no less. My art is expressed through my cooking not amp building. When I discovered Shindo stuff, I was fortunate enough to have the financial means to buy the gear. At that point, my goal was achieved and DIY became unnecessary. On the financial level, you are correct that 'your time' is free. However, for someone who feels time pressure from work, family, etc., time is a precious commodity. I may have a passion for music, I do not have the same passion for building gear that you or Ken have. It's not about ability, patience, or being discouraged by listening to a great amp, it's about passion. I'd rather spend my free time doing something I'm passionate about. BTW- I'm never discouraged by listening to a great amp. I just walk to my living room and turn it on.

I do certainly support you in encouraging people to try DIY. It is where I started just not where I ended. I think a lot of people are not lazy but scared to try DIY. They think it is too hard or afraid that what they build will not work. If I had a dollar for every dish that failed. Whether people have the strong desire for DIY or not, there is a lot to be learned from doing it. It helps you understand what an audio designer goes through and the compromises they have to make in a designed. It also helps one tell a piece of overpriced crap from a real work of art.

Janos, I recognize your dedication to the pursuit of DIY even if I don't share it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.