Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: help me sort out the sounds (45, 2A3, 300B)

"Please -- anyone -- correct me if I'm wrong; but, the common wisdom sems to be: use the 45 if you can; if you can't, step up to the 300B. (Which implies that the 2A3 represents the worst of both worlds. Of course, 2A3 fanatics will likely jump all over this, saying that it represents the *best* of both worlds. Maybe both camps are "correct" in their own ways?)"

Yes, that does seem to be the common wisdom. Right or wrong. Nice of you to offer Jeffrey a 45 audition. I still have a Korneff 45SE and
76/6SN7 preamp. It is very good for the money and Jeff is a great guy. But it sounds *best* to me with EML 45's which some say are not 45's. I dunno. Compared to the Cortese it sounds veiled. Someone I know said the same thing about the Fi 45 monoblocks. I have not heard them and he has not heard the Korneff. Every other SET I have owned seemed to empahsize the mid range at the expense of other frequencies. The Cortese does not; music just flows from it and it sounds balanced and *real*. I have not been to In Living Stereo but there is a post here from someone who has. Do a search. He said they were great no pressure people that made him feel like he wanted to buy something. Seriously, go have a listen and tell us what you think. What I can say is that I am now really enjoying music again and that is what this pursuit is about and I am no longer thinking about gear. And that feels great.

Les

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: help me sort out the sounds (45, 2A3, 300B) - SETdude 04:25:43 03/23/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.