Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: help me sort out the sounds (45, 2A3, 300B)

Dear Jeffery,

Since you seem to want to hear a 45 amp, your best bet is to get in touch with Don Garber. I believe Don lives in Brooklyn.

In my experience, a 45 amp probably will not solve your bass issue. However, to many, the 45 has a better mid range clarity than the 2A3. We did a comparison between my old Welborne 2A3 DRD and a Welborne 45 DRD. The 2A3 had better bass but the clarity and top end. Neither one was better, it depended on what you liked. This was an interesting comparison since it was with two amps using identical circuit topology and the same driver tube. You find yourself liking a 45 more for the mids and highs.

I've only listened to the Druids at shows so I can't really comment. My friend/boss had a pair on audition and he thought it did something weird in the bass. He was driving the Druids with a Art Audio Jota 300 B amp. He ended up sending the pair back. It may be that the 3.5's just can't handle the Druids on the low end. My old Welborne 2A3 DRD didn't work so well on orchestral pieces on my Ocellia Kedros speakers despite the 97 dB efficiency.

I believe firmly in matching amp and speaker. Sometimes, a combination just doesn't work despite each piece being a quality piece. Paul Joppa's comment on break-in is correct. If the amps are new, you may have to run them in for a while before you judge. At the end of the day, if you are not completely satisfied with the sound then punt. Take your time.

I would still go down to In Living Stereo to get a listen. While the Cortese brigade invaded your topic, I would suggest having a listen to the Montille EL84 push-pull amp.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.