Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: help me sort out the sounds (45, 2A3, 300B)

Thanks everyone for your replies, suggestions, comments -- and for the ones to come (please don't stop!).

Here are a few more details about my system, preferences, and situation:

I listen mostly to not-so-loud rock and jazz on vinyl. My room is quite big overall; it's about 35 x 14 x 12 high. This includes the kitchen, which is open to the living room via sliding pocket doors. My speakers are along the long wall, in the middle. The Zu Druids are sensitive (12 ohms nominal) and efficient (101 db).

I have not bought anything in a high-end store in a long time. (Maybe my Planar 3 in 1996 was the last store-bought item.) I don't know; maybe I'm shy, or maybe I'd rather not buy new (pay new, though that seems to be changing). I've done OK with my limited resources and hope to continue like that.

Perhaps I should visit In Living Stereo and listen to the Shindo amp. But I feel guilty knowing that I just cannot afford it. It's also expensive to try out at home all of the amps I am interested in. It's only through the wonderful generosity and try-out policy of George Wright that I am able to hear his two amps in my home. I just don't see anyway to get a 45 to listen to without too much trouble. Hence, my questions.

I've been listening to music and to equipment, buying and selling gear, and participating in AA forums (mostly the vinyl one) long enough to know that it's all about listening. Of course, I trust my ears more than anything I can read here or elsewhere (how it sounds to me is both beginning and end), but I also value what you folks have to say.

So, though in general we shouldn't generalize and apply what we hear to others, I'm asking for just that. (If we were all forever vigilant about keeping our own subjectivity from infecting others, we'd never say anything again!) You guys have a lot of experience (I can tell); please keep it coming.

A final note: I did not intend to disparage the Wright amps I have in my home right now. I actually love them both, and George has been downright friendly with me via email and over the phone. I'm leaning towards the 3.5s but have not had my serious sit-down with them yet. (That will be a comparison among the 3.5s, Mono 7s, and a BAT VK-55 [evil push pull--yet triode!] in which I will enlist my wife [if she's willing] and a friend [if he's willing]. I wish I had a 45 on hand, though.)

Wish me luck.

Jeffrey
Brooklyn, NY

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.