Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: help me sort out the sounds (45, 2A3, 300B)

"Is the 300B giving me more bass because it has more power?"
Likely ....It also depend on your current speaker sensitivity.
The biggest initial mistake when the dive-in; for new lovers of the sound of SET; is in force-fitting their inefficient speakers into the mix. I urge you to listen to high eff speakers and then pick one you like that lets the mid range shine. Of course not just the mid range.
I happen to like female voices more and please take my comments in that context. Although my current 2A3 and PP 807 with my horn sub( 460 sand amps ) will rock pretty impressively : )

"How can I get the (relative) extension of the Mono 7s and the clarity of the 3.5s in one tube?"

Those who have been critical fans (owners of low power) will tell you that there is no one tube that can do it all...welll some may claim that but they may have a less demanding environment.
That is why some like me have evolved to having a dedicated 45 to the mid range; a 300B for the mid bass and a horn sub which will be powered by a PP pentode
I have a huge listening room and I want it all : )

"Would a 45 tube fit this bill, even with the least amount of power of the three?"

I definitely think so especially when you are critical on the sweetness of the mid range. It is smoother yet than the 2A3 which I currently have. It also ( when synergized ) play the upper bass with a clarity that is hard to describe. More reason to get above 100 db sensitivity...again depending on your music room etc

"In addition to the Wrights, I am open to considering the Welbourne DRD 45 or 300B (or maybe the upgraded versions)."

I just ordered a Welborne 45 and putting togather a Bottlehead Paramount 300B. These are ALL brands that offer great value for the money
These are goood amps and I am obviously bi amping and will have to pay attention to the "blending" I have no doubt this is a correct path for me.
YMMV
This is just my opinion based on my preferences and system thus far- I dont mean to step on toes...... : )
If you want to discuss further email me through AA
Best wishes in your search( journey)
I hope I did not confuse you...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: help me sort out the sounds (45, 2A3, 300B) - Nutube 18:39:04 03/21/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.