Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Some great observations and interesting points

My home brew Phono / Line stage drives my SETs and it exclusively uses IDHTs. It also happens to enhance the 3D effect more than any other Phono stage I've tried, providing exceptional detail and HF response.

Funny you should mention DHTs and tone. I tried 26s in lieu of both 6922 and 6H30P in my Phono stage and contrary to other opinions thought that the result was not as extended as the IDHTs. Although the 26 had a nice midrange tone overall I preferred the latter. Interestingly some of the 3D effect was also lost with the 26. I've observed this with many DHTs including some very popular tubes and maybe the right mix of DHT tubes is most important in an all DHT design to prevent limiting HF response too much. My take is that good HF response is a must for holographic imaging but the immediacy of SETs is perhaps the major contributor.

Like you, I too achieved some of the effect with PP but only where the OP tubes were wired in triode mode, which also happened to provide greater immediacy. I'm certain that you can produce 3D to a greater or lesser degree with most types of tubes and even topologies but I think SETs do it better than anything else. DHTs with good HF response work well but if the design implementation is skewed mainly towards great midrange tone at the expense of HF, some "space" will be lost. Often IS coupling is the culprit here unless VERY good trannies are used.

I still think that phase preservation is a must and this stacks up technically with extended HF and little or no global feedback. But but on reflection I think you are right about IDHTs to some extent and perhaps my explanation of frequency and phase response remains consistent with your findings. Maybe a mix of both DHT and IDHT brings about a great marriage in this regard.

Rgds,
Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.