Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Everything worthwhile comes at a cost!

Hey Russ, an easy question deserves a simple answer, the SET should drive the mids and highs. As for the OP tube, I'm not as polarised as some and would choose the appropriate tube based on the power I needed ... as long as it's DHT. My speakers are only about 90db efficient and they are in a huge room so I chose 845s but I've worked with everything from 45s up to 300Bs and they all sound great. Primary impedance depends on the tube but I tend to trade off a little power for greater linearity by keeping impedance slightly on the high side.

For sub implementation I'd preferably choose full range main speakers and feed them with a full range signal directly from the SET. I'd augment the bottom end with a good (tight) sub(s) rolled off at very low frequency, 40 - 50Hz tops, with a steep crossover. This will depend on your full range speaker off course but you are only trying to extend the bottom end, not replace it with the sub. Even if your main speakers are down 6db at 40Hz there is no need to set a crossover point higher than this since the OPs will add. IMO the only unsuccessful sub implementations are those where the subs are doing the job of the mids or too much of the mid bass, or where the sub is simply a loose cannon!

Cheers,
Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Everything worthwhile comes at a cost! - Naz 22:52:00 03/19/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.