Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: WAVAC MD-805 SET vs Cary 805 Anniversary

thanx for that
interesting that you say that
I have listened to a friends cary 805 anniversary and am impressed by it. There is a 2nd hand wavac on sale, 1/2 price here in Melbourne, and the cost is similar to a new cary, hence my question
Going back to your point, I have a low powered SET, Tektron 2A3/45, and currenly run this on 45 EML solid plate tubes. Great mid-range. I have a loftin white 2A3 amp currently being made (it is being tested as we speak), so hopefully will have in a few weeks time (DIY, but I made mistakes).I am using my friends LW 2A3 amp as well, currently running the LW amp mono's to the bass unit of the Paudio driver (BMcx38) 15", and to teh treble, the 45SET.
The biamping is great, but trying to match the amps volume wise has been tricky, one via the preamp (valve) and the other via the DAC (own preamp).
Long term if persisted with this, would try different way to marry the two.
However, as the opportunity has come up for perhaps on of these amps, I ask the question. Stcik with the way I have and refine it, or go for big bang valve amp?
Your views???
many thanks
John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.