Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: anyone had success integrating SET with an active Sub?

This is pretty funny, because we spent a good part of today listening to a speaker project under development, which uses a SET-powered satellite with a pair of subs. (We're crossing around 100Hz, so each satellite sits on its own sub.) Here's a few pbservations:

1) You do have to get it dialed in, it can sound crappy in a myriad of different ways and seem very discouraging until you get close to the sweet spot.

2) Find a way to isolate the sub's vibrations from the sattelite - it really does make a difference.

3) Every time you adjust the sub rolloff frequency, you have to re-check whether you have the right sub phase. You cannot re-check the best phase too often!

4) We were using a sealed box satellite (12dB/octave) with a cheap ... uhhh, sorry, "cost-effective" ... 12dB/octave sub, and you can always identify the sub's sonics. Many experts have advised the 24dB/octave is the minimum sub slope, and I am becoming a believer for sure.

5) You can hear the sub's characteristic sonics pretty easily. In our case, the sub was not an especially rigid box, and you could feel the box vibrations with your hand, as well as hear them. No free lunch I guess - a good, heavy, rigid (expensive!) box is always going to pay sonic dividends.

6) Turning up the sub is no substitute for a proper baffle step correction filter, even if the frequencies are within an octave of each other. Given the large magnitude of room effects in these frequencies, I did not expect this result - but I sure as heck heard it!

In spite of all that, we had no trouble getting the cheapo subs to make a significant improvement over no sub.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.