Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

My Welborne experience....

I bought a pair of used, factory-assembled, DRD 300B monoblocks a while back. With my 97dB speakers, there was a noticeable hum problem. Not loud, but audible from my listening position 14 ft away. After trying to track down the cause on my own, I finally sent them in to Ron for the professional touch. He asked that I include my TJ mesh plate 300B's to make sure they weren't the cause.

After a week or two, i got an email from Ron saying they found the problem, which was a loose ground and everything was fixed. The cost was $125 plus shipping. Seems like a lot of money, but I now possess amps that are factory warrantied, so it was worth it for me.

The only problem was that when i got my amps back, the TJ 300B's were missing. I sent Ron an email about this and he apologized promising to replace them with a new set of TJ's. He explained that since they were a small shop, he had to order tubes in blocks and that it might take a while. A month later a brand new set of TJ's arrived at my house.

All in all, it was probably 6-8 weeks to have a working pair of DRD's.

BUT, I considered this to still be a good deal because 1) I prefer to only support small, innovative, audio manufacturers Art Audio, Welborne, Cain & Cain, DiyHiFi Supply, Hammer Dynamics, etc. 2) the performance of the DRD's is so far beyond other 300B amps (to me) that the minor wait is small price to pay.

I've met Ron a couple of times at Audio shows and hung out in his room for hours. He is a great guy who is truly passionate about audio and making the best product possible at the lowest price possible. And the performance of his amps are equal to others twice their price.

So, it is sad to hear he's having serious problems fulfilling orders in a timely fashion. I hope he can get past the hiccups of this last year and get back to smooth sailing. I know at least one of those heavy snow storms this winter in Colorado set him back for months due to being snowed in for a few weeks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.