Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Cary 300 SEI with HUM in Noise Floor

After exhaustive searches here - I've decided to post. I use this SET amp with headphones only (Senn HD650 w/ Mobius 300 ohm and JVC/Victor DX1000 60 ohm cans). There is the very annoying mechanical hum in the noise floor - more noticeable with the lower ohm cans). I've checked all tubes - I use WE (new) 300B and Tung Sol Black Plate 6SN7 driver and Sylvania Chrome Top 6SN7W Short Bottles. This baby even went back to Cary recently for a bias resistor that blew - and while there checked for this hum - and it returned with, you guessed it, the same mechanical hum. I've hooked up a small set of monitors and the same low-level noise is still there also. I've made sure the transformers are tightly screwed down and pretty much traced down every possible source. I use a high grade PC into an Audio Magic Stealth PC (or even straight into the wall) - hum still there. I have seen multiple posts that this is just the SET Faustian bargain - and some inmates have gone as far as to just sell the damn thing! I'm almost there - even thought I must admit to a midrange and dynamic audio spectrum unmatched to these old ears. Cary has been most unhelpful - and don't seem to want to admit a design flaw (even though there are many, many complaints as to the contrary. Any input would be much appreciated before she goes to Agon soon (a last resort).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Cary 300 SEI with HUM in Noise Floor - daleda 15:23:28 03/09/07 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.