Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: Found the spec's - ordered Magnequest Iron

There's a related thread on the high efficienct forum, which includes a measurement from "freddyi" which shows a pretty early rolloff.

Note that (from the picture) this is outdoors in a free field - in room, there will be significant reinforcement in the deepest bass. Still, it illustrates the thing about horns - they have to be REALLY BIG to go deep. What they do in spades is clean dynamics, which is why so many of us are glad to put up with their various limitations :^)

Assuming you have found a pretty good position for them, you may still need a subwoofer to get satisfying deep bass.

I have some ported speakers in my listening room, about 101dB sensitivity. They go down to 60-70Hz or so in their modest 3 cubic foot boxes. Using a sub is significantly more satisfying for symphonic music, even though the sub woofers are 10" diameter while the main woofers are 15".

Some 50 years ago there was an article in the AES Journal on a serious horn sub. It started with four 15" woofers, ran 30 feet under the living room (in the garage) before turning a corner to a 10 foor wide, 8 foot high mouth. With a fence to prevent pets and small children from falling in and being lost! The Klipschorn and La Scalla are wonderfully clever compromises with those basic physical requirements, but compromises nonetheless.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Found the spec's - ordered Magnequest Iron - Paul Joppa 21:03:55 03/07/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.