Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

indeed

, it is very hard to elaborate on a tubes merits. I like all three tube types discussed - 45, 2a3, and 300B. I have heard poor, good, and great amps with these tubes. Most 300B amps have the "typical" 300B sound. 45s have a peculiar midrange emphasis, and 2a3 are the most neutral among them. If I can compare the tubes, the 2a3 is the bread and water, the 45 is a fine malt whiskey, and the 300B is a plate of steak. Short term comparison almost always will favor the 45 or 300B, but the 2a3 is much more realistic in a sense that it does not have a sonic attribute that overshadows the rest: the 45 has outstanding midrange and realism, the 300B has outstanding richess of sound. These can be viewed as benefits, but on the long run they either bore you or make you listen t a certain kind of music. They try to influence you. The 2a3 does not put an emphasis on anything, it is a tube of moderation. Lets you listen to anything you like.

Also, it makes a great difference as to what kind of music you like listening to. Electronic and rock music will rule on 300B, 45 rules on jazz, but 2a3 is the better on chamber music.

However, a lot depends on the amps topology. The very best 300B amps I have heard (one with WE and the other with Russian tubes) sound EXACTLY like 2A3 amps, and nothing like the typical rich 300B sound, with is midbass heavy but does not go down as deep as a 2A3. The 2A3 goes deeper than a 300B, but most people, even those of good hearing, can't hear tone below 100Hz, so very few can appreciate it. The 45 goes even deeper than a 2a3, and its midbass is even cleaner. The same tendency goes further with the 1626 (.75W IDHT), that has a character like the 2a3, and with even more alive tone - that kind of tone that musicians go for, when they are choosing a certain guitar, or violin.
Certainly, the 1626 is not the tube to press at loud volumes, and most people will find even the 2a3 not loud enough for their needs. We need to learn some moderation, to train our ears, to listen to modest volumes, otherwise our ears will loose their keenness, and we will loose our hearing due to the loud noise. Take heed, even if it sounds perfect, you will loose your hearing: play in a rock band, a jazz gig, sit next to the tuba player, and bingo, you can kiss goodbye to your fine hearing. Over the years you will turn the volume knob louder, and louder to get satisfaction.
(BTW those two 300Bs had great bass, controlled, deep, and lacking artificial boost, like a 2a3, unlike a "typical 300B".)

The lion roars - just like the 300B and 45, are born roarers, the 2A3 and the distant cousin 1626 play with moderation. Takes very different mindsets to listen to: 45 in the morning, 300B in broad daylight, 2A3 in the evening, and 1626 when the world goes to sleep, to tell tales no loud commotion can tell. One cricket can be much more beautiful than the roar of a horde of tigers. The spectrum is wide, choose one (or more) that suits your needs.

Once you give up the notion to play recordings at "live" volumes, which does not make any sense unless you have the same room acoustics as the place where the music was recorded, you can start enjoying what each amp can offer, at their respective power levels.

Long live DIY,

Janos

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.