Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Comparison is not the point. New territory is.

Hi Gordon,

These OTL's are I think 186 watts per channel. They are massive size amps. I am actually using a 300b preamp with them because the amps don't come with volume controls. It probably makes them sound better.

I believe the sound that I am getting is really not too far from a show quality sound, even though I am sure the speakers could be upgraded to a more advanced model.

I'm not really comparing speakers, nor amps. That is not the point of the post. Maybe I am comparing paradigms to some extent.

What I am doing is trying to understand what I have been hearing for a few years now. I am trying to understand and with some understanding I am trying to develop the conceptual tools to understand it more.

There is no doubt that the SET amplification presents a fundamentally different type of soundstage than the other system. I am just beginning to realize what the differences are and the post is an attempt to begin to understand it.

I am trying to delineate the variables involved, and to make suggestions about audio sound and how to better develop it.

I heard the best in show sounds. Putting everything the best possible including careful selection of cds and the highlight of an amazing vinyl recording, I also heard what it fundamentally lacks.

Recently at the VTV show in New Jersey, I heard a push-pull system sound way better than anything else. It had such a nice tone to the music, but when was the last time you were at something live and you sat there and thought "what a nice tone"?

Audio started with tubes, these push-pull amplifiers, that really had some great stuff. Then maybe the awful SS started, and then in response, tubes tried to show they could do similarly and developed a rather sterile sound.

Time to move on.

I do believe in SET potential more than the other stuff. I think SET amplification is better than anything in previous existence, but it has a way to go. Perhaps it's too locked into trying to be like the other guys. I've also heard stuff in other amplification, very interesting phenomenon that is also not named.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.