Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

The differences in high end sound

With regard to the speakers, you are talking about apples and oranges (8 ohm/98 dB w/ dynamic drivers vs 4 ohm/91 dB w/ ribbon mids & tweeters). While I have not owned these particular speakers, I have owned their little sisters. I have had the Galante Rhapsody monitors and the VMPS 626 monitors. I have to say I was not highly impressed with the Rhapsody and would rank it only number 6 or the 11 different monitors I have had in my SET system. I thought they were warm and sweet in the midrange, but lacking at the top end. I also thought they were only average in delivery of detail and sounded veiled when compared to better monitors. I was running these with 45 and 300B amps. I think it would be interesting for you to try the Symphony’s with the OTL amp and see how different they sound.

I only ran my VMPS 626’s in my Home theater system with high powered solid state amps. I do recall that they sounded better when I switched from 150 wpc to 350 wpc amps. I now have the VMPS RM30’s, and have to say they are clearly at another level of performance from the 626’s. While the RM30’s give a lively, dynamic and detailed sound, they certainly lack the richness of a SET system. I would have to think of them as a different type (flavor, species?) of sound.

I wonder if you are doing justice to the RM2’s with the amplification you have? Or whether you are doing justice to your OTL’s by using the RM2’s.

I would have to say that I have a strong preference for that SET magic, but certainly recognize that it is not the only magic in high end sound.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.