Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

More to a amplifier than tube types

I have heard owned wonderful 2a3 amps and crappy 45 SET. I have owned amazing 300b amps and noisy unmusical 2a3. I have owned crap-tacular 300b and crazy good 45 SET plus many others types of SET and if you dont match loudspeaker to amp even the best SET can sound poor.While I respect NJjohn I never found the John Hogan amps to be have good bass drive distortion from the websters into low frequincy is massively high, if your speaker doesnt go so deep you will not be bothered but of the 3 JH amps I have owned all did poor in low bass one measured over 30% distortion below 40hz. Still had wonderful mids;) So I say match loudspeaker to tube type dont under power just to go 45 SET but if you and your loudspeaker can deal with 45 SETs low power it can be one of the better sounding tube amps arround.But if you pushing it into massive distortion just to get the right listening level a 45 SET will sound pretty poor.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.