Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Dave, I think that is a no, but...

perhaps njjohn is in some ability to apply inductive research and come to his conclusions...

The Zen in me (not much left these days - be damned science) has me thinking that you can not 'know' until you have directly experienced, but even then not; any event can apply only to the person experiencing the amp, within a certain system and temporal context. Eeck - I just scared myself.

That said, I have heard none and would probably have a similar list to njjohn, tho heavily qualified. It is difficult to make comparisons between output tubes, because each has different needs (to 'optimise', if such exists) and sounds different depending on implementation. Example: I like a certain type of musical presentation. I experiment with different tubes and come to clearly prefer the 45 over the 300B, using the same driver and basic PSU config. I then change the driver and operating points of the 300B and find I like this more than the 45. I do the same for the 45 amp, yet it sounds less appealing to my ears. And so on and on. Then despite my general distaste for 2A3s, I drop an EML 2A3-S in the 45 amp; better. Is it more 2A3 or 300B? A few more tweaks to the operating point, more power and a further improved presentation...

Comparing output tubes is tough, expen$ive, though perhaps enjoyable. Inductive and deductive research are required, and even then one can gain an understanding only for themselves, though may develop some idea of what output tube and config someone else may like if you (and they!) know what flicks their switch musically.

Now, the system context. Only kidding. I have cr*pped on long enough for this month, and it is only the 1st.

Cheers
Raymond

Ultra-consumers: Spending money they do not have to buy things they do not need to impress people they do not like.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.