Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

alot of caveats, if that is the term

The thing about the 2a3 too is that the amps tend to generally sound good at a pretty low price point.

Also, say if I put a 50 tube in 5th place. That does not mean I would trade my 50 amp for a 45. Cause I wouldn't.

I am just speaking in what I think are general potential terms. Maybe it's like the different major TV station networks. Maybe CBS is top rated and really the best but you might find your favorite show on NBC. A 2a3 amp just might be the best sound for anyone's particular situation or musical interests.

I find each SE output tube so great and interesting. They are like different single drivers, each with unique qualiites. It does not mean that you cannot come to an understanding of what is generally the best. But you also have to look at the different qualities and appreciate them.

Each single ended output tube has unique and interesting qualities that the others don't. They are invaluable in that way. But as far as sonic qualities and potential, overall, some seem to be capable of being better than others.

I guess each output tube is just a set of characteristics with its own operating points and ingredients. The 45 just seems to hit the mark the best, and the 300b just has some overall pretty amazing sonic qualities. The other ones are real good too.

Just because I know the 45 can make a better amp, it does not take away from me fully enjoying the 300b. I know what the 300b can do.

Anyway, any opinion is open to evaluation and research. Anyone can take what is said and see if they think it is true. That's what I do with Gordon's or anyone's opinion. I check it out for myself, and then I get my own opinion of how right it is or not.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.