Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: BUY IT!

Welborne does respond to orders and pre-order questions. I've ordered and put together a pair of DRD45s. I didn't post about that first experience here because it seems that Welborne has some staunch defenders and I wondered if the problems were uncharacteristic and it seems that one is a "bad" person for saying something about the poor service.
After the second go around, I don't feel like they were uncharacteristic problems. The order that per his website should take 1 - 3 weeks was about 8 weeks. I was shorted parts. One was easy to find out but the second one wasn't because he lists large separate parts and bags of parts on the inventory. On the first shortage, I was missing a large part so it was easy to see. On the second, I was missing parts from the bag so I didn't find out until I didn't have the parts to install. The instructions are quite detailed and nice in areas and then totally fall apart in others with INCORRECT diagrams and wiring instructions. I don't mean unclear, I do mean wrong. I'm guessing that there have been parts changes over time and he hasn't kept up the instructions. When I had a problem at the end of the build, I called repeatedly and left messages. A week and half or so later, he finally got around to sending an e-mail to see if I was still having a problem. He didn't offer any recommendations as to a possible solution even though I had left descriptions of the problem. Luckily, I was able to get help from someone else. I'm not a first time kit builder but sometimes you just get stuck and need a word or two in the right direction. Don't depend on Welborne for that word or two. There are other kit makers out there who have good kits and who will provide assistance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.