Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: WE 300B tube life (also)

Ron has written that the ss rectified DRD amps are a bit harder on the output tubes. He admits the ss rectifed versions put more stress on the output tubes at the initial start up Vs. the tube rectified versions. I wonder if converting my ss 300b DRD amps to tube rectified would cure this problem? This is because they do not have the soft start feature the tube rectified versions have. I would like to find out how hard it will be to turn my ss rectified 300b into a tube rectified version? While Ron states in writing he prefers the sound from the ss rectified version I was amazed at how much better sounding my tube rectified 45 DRD amps became when I swapped in a GZ37 replacing the Sovtek rectifier it came with stock. My only amplifier that I used prior to the Welborne DRD ss rectified ones are my Klimo push pull EL34 mono amps. They sound simply amazing to my ears. But for bang for the buck sound quality it is very hard to beat the Welborne DRD amplifiers. John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.