Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Not IMO. By improving the quality of the PS, I mean using the best-sounding, 'rightest'-sized parts.

For instance, the best-sounding PS might include tubed rectification, the highest-quality caps money can buy, low-DCR, correct-inductance chokes, etc., and all sized correctly. Also the same should be done for the supply/supplies for the frontend* and maybe the bias and heater (if DC) supplies too.

I think a super-high-quality PS would have NO 'lytics (but for BlackGates) in it and be composed of all film (or PIO) caps, carefully selected, of course. Conrad-johnson has been doing this ('this' being using NO 'lytics and using 'propylene and 'styrene caps in HV PSs) for years now, and I think their reputation for excellent sound is due at least partially to that.

I do NOT want to sound pendantic**; these are only my opinions, but they guide what I do with my own stuff.

* I THINK (but don't KNOW) that ASL got that right in the AQ1006(845) with its vacuumtube-regulated PS (using a paralleled-sections 6SN7 error amp and a triode-wired 6L6 as a series-pass device) for the 2 'N7 Voltage-gain/driver tubes.

** and I written many times that I'm NOT golden-eared, in the sense that I cannot easily hear subtle differences that others apparently hear. But I do hear cumulative differences and improvements (or 'disprovements') thereto, to the point that I've managed to build, with lots of advice from Jeffrey Glowacki of Sonic Craft, the best-sounding system I've ever heard...anywhere...anytime. Of course, ALL other systems start with a handicap--they're not tuned for MY sonic preferences. :-)
-------------------------------------------------------
Tin-eared audiofool and obsessed landscape fotografer.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jeffreybehr

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Not IMO. By improving the quality of the PS, I mean using the best-sounding, 'rightest'-sized parts. - jeffreybehr 23:33:02 03/01/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.